CHARLOTTE STREET FOUNDATION’S URBAN CULTURE PROJECT OPEN STUDIOS WEEKEND, SHOWCASES THE WORK OF ARTISTS IN ITS STUDIO RESIDENCY PROGRAM FOR VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTISTS. THE 2-DAY EVENT, MARCH 8 + 9, 2013 INCLUDES LIVE MUSIC, DANCE, THEATRE, COMEDY IMPROV, AND CROSS-DISCIPLINARY PERFORMANCES, SPECIAL SALES, TEMPORARY INSTALLATIONS, PARTICIPATORY ACTIVITIES, ARTIST TALKS, AND MORE, HIGHLIGHTING THE WORK OF 21 VISUAL ARTISTS AND 8 PERFORMING ARTISTS/ENSEMBLES AWARDED FREE STUDIOS FOR YEAR-LONG TERMS THROUGH CHARLOTTE STREET’S COMPETITIVE URBAN CULTURE PROJECT STUDIO RESIDENCY PROGRAM. ALL EVENTS ARE FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. LEARN MORE IN THE PRESS RELEASE.
OPEN STUDIOS PROGRAM – INCLUDING SCHEDULE OF EVENTS, GEOGRAPHICAL MAP, STUDIO MAPS, DESCRIPTIONS OF ARTISTS’ WORK, AND KID-FRIENDLY INFO! – TO BE POSTED IN FEBRUARY 2013
OPEN STUDIOS WEEKEND HIGHLIGHTS:
– 21 Artists’ studios open for viewing with all artists on-hand to discuss their work and answer questions.
– Curator and Artist Talks
– Performances including collaborative works and individual contemporary dance performances:
– Big Japan, 8 March, 7pm, Paragraph Gallery, 21-23 East 12th St.: Comedic ensemble freestyle raps.
– Black House Collective, 8 March, 9pm, Paragraph Gallery,21-23 East 12th St.:musical performance of selections from their 11th workshop, a collaboration with the Nelson-Atkins Museum.
– Miles Bonny, 8 March, 5:30-6:30pm, pARTnership Place, 906 Grand, 13th Floor: Kick-off Reception with performance of original music utilizing his live vocals and flugelhorn.
– Lisa Cordes, 9 March, noon, Paragraph Gallery, 21-23 East 12th St.: performs Box of Lamentations, a spoken word cycle exploring gun violence in America.
– Gamelan, 9 March, 12:30, Town Pavilion, 1100 Walnut, 6th Floor: traditional and modern Balinese Gamelan music performance.
– Kacico, 8 March, 8pm, Town Pavilion, 1100 Walnut, 6th Floor: Dance performance of excepts from The Song and Dance Project.
– Marisa MacKay, 8 March, 8:30pm, Town Pavilion, 1100 Walnut, 6th Floor: Dance performance by The Smith Project of original new choreography.
– Erin Muenks, 8 March, 7:30pm, Town Pavilion, 1100 Walnut, 6th Floor: Debut dance performance of Sewing the Seeds of Change.
– And more! Check back for the FULL OPEN STUDIOS PROGRAM!
VENUES AND ARTISTS:
– Find detailed info about the 2012-13 studio residents at https://urbanculturestudioresidents.wordpress.com
PARTNERSHIP PLACE / 906 Grand, 13 floor, KCMO
Visual Artists: Ben Harle, Calder Kamin, Christopher Daharsh, Emily Connell, Jacob Banholzer, Katy McRoberts, and Will Preman
TOWN PAVILION / 1100 Walnut, 6th floor, KCMO
Visual Artists: Elizabeth Allen-Cannon, Lindsay Deifik, Eric Dobbins, Luke Firle, Amy Fredman, Madeline Gallucci, Rachel Gregor, Rachel Helm, Robert Howsare, Molly Kaderka, Skye Livingston, Rodolfo Marron, Maegan Stracy, and Jennifer Williams.
Performing artists: Miles Bonny, Gamelan Genta Kasturi, Lisa Cordes, Tom Kessler, Juliette Everhart and collaborators (LSR and Big in Japan), Black House Collective, Marisa MacKay-Smith, Kacico Dance, and Erin Muenks.